Thursday 27 December 2012

Yaby vs. MAC Eyeshadow Palette Review


I only discovered this brand a few months ago through one of my favourite make up artists Roshar who swears by their eye shadow pallets.  It's fast becoming a staple in many a make up artist's kits and I think it's going to be huge.  



The brand which was developed by the incredibly talented make up artist Lisa Wu is targeted at professionals.  The packaging is minimal, but surprisingly heavy as it's made from sturdy plastic.  The pallet itself is quite small and there is a large mirror on the inside of the lid which is a godsend - I sometimes use it as a pallet for mixing my foundations. 




I'm totally in love with this pallet - I really can't get enough of it.  The eye shadows blend insanely well with little fallout and are so easy to work with.  They have a satiny smooth (a cream-to-powder) texture; are highly pigmented and have outstanding staying power even without  a base.

The pans are REALLY tiny, none of the pictures I had seen on the internet prepared me for how small they are, but the price reflects that and a little really does go a long way with this product.  They worked out at between £1.75 and £2.50 each -  roughly the same price as the MAC eye shadows if you compare gram for gram.  But with Yaby it's easier to try out new, adventurous colours that you probably won't use very often without breaking the bank.  I also think that the size of the Yaby pallet is a plus if you are a professional artist looking for a lighter, condensed kit.

They're about the size of a 1 cent coin!!

Hopefully this information will be of use to some people interested in Yaby like I was.  I was super impressed, especially with the pearl eye shadows.  It's a great starter for beginners or make up lovers.  It's designed for camera and it's shocking how true the colours are in flash photography.  This pallet is a really smart buy - there's no way I'd pay 15 Euro for a red eye shadow because I know I would rarely use it.  But I will pay 2 Euros for it in case some day I do need it.
My Yaby pallet compared to the MAC pallet.  I bought 8 empty pans for carrying lipsticks and mixing.

Overview:

MAC

  • There's more product.
  • Easier to get your hands on (there's probably a store nearby).
  • Getting the MAC discount requires a long (that's an understatement) process.
Yaby
  • Saves kit space.
  • Pre set pallets (40 eyeshadows) is a better deal than MAC.
  • The colour stays true in flash photography, better than MAC I find.
  • Pro discount can be approved in a few days.


I purchased my pallet online at the make-up artist boutique.

But you can also buy it from the Yaby website.







Finally, here's a very very quick and messy look I did using the pallet.  I just wanted to show how pigmented and true the colours are on camera.  Ignore my chapped lips and the awful cam quality.






No comments:

Post a Comment