Sunday 20 January 2013

Red Eye Shadow

I've been searching for a good red eye shadow for so long.  I think people tend to avoid it because it is a bit too edgy or perhaps feel it makes them look sickly.  It's definitely not for everyone, it's quite dramatic.  But I think it can look amazing, if you find the right red for your skin tone.  For example, if you have a lot of red in your skin you should probably avoid the very bright shades.  You'll look like a tomato unless you have concealed the redness in your skin.  Stick to browny reds, it won't be as severe as a pinky red.  If you have skin with yellowish undertones a vibrant red would look amazing.
Red Head
I had a lot of trouble finding a nice red, I have  pinky red Barry M Dazzle Dust called Cherry Red.  But i prefer using pressed eye shadows because the Dazzle Dusts are so messy.  But then I stumbled on NYX's Red Head and Extreme Apricot.  I got a huge haul of their products in the January sale, I bought both of these.
Extreme Apricot
When I use red I don't want it to look wearable.  I think it looks best as a block of colour.  Blending in other colours to dilute it really misses the point.

The NYX reds are great, i didn't need to use a base for the look below.  The products are so vibrant and went on easily.  Although I generally don't like make-up "rules", i think red gives more of an editorial look and wouldn't advise wearing it every day.  I used MAC electric eel underneath the eye too, I'm not sure why I did that...i thought it looked nice.  And the brows...well...they were an accident.  Bit I like those too.  I might do them again.  I put some of the NYX jumbo pencil in Milk on the lips.  I love white lips, I think they look really tribal and fun, not as scary as they sound.






No comments:

Post a Comment